Friday 30 November 2012

Lime kosho

I talked about Yuzu-kosho the other day.

 Today, I prepared lime kosho by mixing koji, lime rind and salt.

I have already made a lemon kosho without koji and really loved it. The recipe is from Milliam's Kitchen (Japanese).
The lemon kosho by her recipe was salty, full of fresh lemon flavor, and had a real kick of chilli. I love spicy condiments. My kids are too small to enjoy spicy food, but I do and having spicy condiments at hand, I can always jazz up my dishes. So plain grilled chicken for kids, when I have the same thing with this. As she says, it would be wonderful with middle eastern dishes. I can imagine sish kebab with this and it waters my mouth.
This is not Milliam's recipe, but often people make fresh yuzu kosho by mixing the following in this way.

Chilli pepper: Citrus rind: Salt= 4:1:0.5to1

Get rid of the seed of chili peppers and put it through food processor. Grate the citrus rind. Mix all the ingredients. Add more salt if you think it is not salty enough.  And that's it. Simple but beautiful.

These would keep in a fridge for up to a month. It would make sense to make tiny amount before a BBQ (or Christmas, if you are thinking about how to eat up the left over roast).

While Milliam's ( I think this is how she spell her pen name) recipe has got its beauty in its absolute freshness, yuzukosho with koji will keep in a room temperature.  I will talk about it in my next post.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so wonderful, and I love store-bought yuzu-kosho. What ratio of koji would you include with the proportions of chili, citrus, and salt as above? Thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Forgot to click "notify me." :)

    ReplyDelete