Wednesday 24 October 2012

Methods of Koji-making

There are two major ways to make koji. One is from commercially produced koji spores (Tanekoji). The other is from koji itself--- this is called tomo-koji (友麹 or 共麹)method. You buy the first packet of koji, mix it with steamed rice and if you managed to make a good batch of koji, keep some for the next batch.

A quick search on the internet told me that tomo-koji is easier to make at home, though over the time, it can be more unstable. First introduced to the modern housewives by the author Hiroko Hayashi, it seems to be a darling method of health conscious housewives all over Japan ( and abroad).

Juzo Nagata, a writer from a former koji making family, explains in his book how many different types of koji are there, but unfortunately, I don't have much choice here in the UK.

I found a pack of Genmai Koji (brown rice koji) on sale at a macrobiotics shop.  The Home Brew Shop also sells Koji-kin. For my first ever koji making attempt, I decided to go for Genmai Koji packet, i.e. I will try tomo-koji method. I will mix some from the packet to steamed white rice.

4 comments:

  1. Any luck making the koji? I have discovered that Amazake is by far and away the best form in which to eat grains. It is very digestible and full of B vitamins. I feel very energised afterwards.

    Unfortunately Amazake is very expensive and I am looking into ways to make it myself, with koji. Koji is also expensive to buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found tomo-koji method relatively easy. My miso made from tomo-koji koji is maturing nicely in my cupboard, too. I have not yet tried the second generation tomo-koji, (i.e. making koji from the batch you made previously). But it does multiply one small packet of koji.
      Having said that, if you are interested in brown rice koji making, that is a completely different story. Also, the usual precaution has to be taken-- you don't want to be feeding yourself let alone your family anything harmful. One reason why I have not yet tried the second generation tomo-koji koji. Just like photocopying a photocopied material, I think there is more chance of 'noise' coming in!

      Delete
  2. Hi! Are there any resources out there on how to harvest the koji spores from your own koji-rice?

    [I made my own koji this past summer and, long story, ended up fermented the koji for too long and the rice was covered in a very powdery layer of koji spores. I was skeptical if the miso ferment would work with said rice-koji but, it sure enough did! (Great miso).] --> I wonder if something like this is the way to harvest your self-generated koji spores?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete