Sunday 4 November 2012

Three koji making attempts summary



I tried to make koji three times in the last month.  Here are a few things that I learned.

  1. Keeping moisture right is more important than keeping temperature warm. 
  2. I should not worry too much about temperature being too cold. I just need to wait longer. Higher temperature, on the other hand, is a sure way to killing oryzae.
  3. Once I see white mould coming out ("blossoming" or "budding" as it is traditionally called-- rather beautiful, isn't it?) I should mix koji and rice very well.
  4. Then I should really, really keep it alone. In my first attempt, I kept mixing it too much. The books said that I should mix koji well as they start to produce heat themselves, but in a small scale operation of one enameled pot, my koji didn't really become that hot. Also we are talking about growing koji in winter without a particular attempt to keep heating on.
  5. And I should leave it alone.
  6. And leave it alone.

I also picked up tips here and there.
  1. If my koji is patchy just like my last attempt, I shouldn't worry too much. It is not perfect, but it still is a koji. I need to give it more time to do its job. i.e. longer maturation time for miso, for example.
  2. Well made koji should NOT taste sweet.
  3. Smell and judge if your attempt is right, but if in doubt, make amazake.
My next goal is to try and make my koji good enough on its own to be the next batch's "mother".

photo from flickr: fo.ol

No comments:

Post a Comment